panic no more!
Panic no more if you are a believer and follower of Christ! For it is simply worry and fear on steroids, which is clearly a sin in God's eyes. Besides that, worrying will get you nowhere in this life, except a continual expectation of doom and gloom.
Of course, there is every reason to worry (as the world would say and think). It's because of the current situation our world is facing with the huge pandemic of the Covid-19 coronavirus, which is present in our local and global news' headlines during this current day and time.
Yes, perhaps you have been exposed to it before or even right now as I write this, affecting you within your own physical body. Or, could it be that it has touched other members of your family as well. But in some way we are all being affected and afflicted by this strange and savage beast, and it has now transformed itself into a full-on pandemic situation within our society and around the world.
damaging effects of panic situations
No doubt this world's current pandemic has become chaotic within the spread of this dreaded virus, going from person to person, country to country.
There are quite a few damaging effects that can come about when a person, community, city, or a nation gets caught up in a world-wide crisis, such as what we are currently experiencing today. Some of these we may see occurring right now, and others may trickle down later on into the near future.
Some of these devastating effects that can affect you and your loved ones might be:
- Health emergencies which could arise. These may include those of ourselves personally or that of our family members, co-workers, employers, friends, etc.
- Loss of life among those around us, such as our loved ones, friends, neighbors, and/or co-workers, as well as those within our own communities. This of course, is one of the most devastating effects of all!
- Feelings of isolation, neglect, and loneliness can take its toll due to social distancing. Many times during crises situations and events, we may be told by our world leaders, presidents, or city/state/local governments to stay indoors, to quarantine ourselves within our own homes, or obey social distancing rules so that we will not become exposed to certain viruses or social unrest outside of our home environments. This is when many of us begin to feel fear and panic arising within us.
- Shortages of resources and supplies everywhere. We are now seeing extreme food shortages in many countries, as well as those shortages of of basic household necessities. Hospitals and healthcare facilities are scrambling for vital equipment such as surgical masks, gowns, ventilators, and so on. People are afraid on every side and in every country nowadays.
- Loss of income. The majority of the population in and around your area, or in the country may not be able to go out to work due to being quarantined, the closing down of businesses, the shutting down of nearly everything around you, except for those businesses that are deemed "essential". In this case many of us find ourselves with no income coming in for a long while, and therefore cannot get various basic needs met for ourselves and our families. Unless you have been fortunate to have a good savings account already or an emergency fund set up for these types of situations, you may just be out of luck when it comes to trying to provide for yourself and your family during these times of crises. Panic often sets in at this point as well because of concerns as to where your next meals will come from and how you will pay your bills. Furthermore, there are more incidences of...
- Stress, short tempers, panic attacks, anxiety, worry, emotional upheaval, depression, rage, sadness, etc. can come in and overwhelm you during a time of crisis. It's so easy to panic when feeling these typical feelings and emotions as your so-called "normal" isn't normal anymore. You and I must enter into a new "normal" phase of life (whatever that may be). Change is hard for most of us, but these kinds of changes can happen so quickly that our brain takes a while to take it all in. It's hard to get a good grip on things when life as you know it seems to be disintegrating all around you!
don't panic! these things were foretold to us
As I said earlier, panic is fear and worry on steroids, which God hates. He never intended for us to go into a panic whenever a crisis situation or event happens. As a matter of fact, in His Word, He revealed to us of these upcoming situations and events which were to take place in our future story.
The Lord knows just what He is doing and I believe He is shaking us up, warning us to be ready--to prepare ourselves, for the future things which are about to occur, and that we need to get ready for His coming!
Take a look everywhere you are, and even watch for those disturbing things that are happening in other countries as well. It's absolutely clear that the Lord is speaking to you and me. But, will we listen?
Before panic sets into your heart, please take a look at these following passages of scripture as they forewarn of these events to come:
- Acts 1:6-8 says, "When they therefore were come together, they asked of Him, saying, 'Lord wilt Thou at this time restore again the kingdom to Israel?' And He said unto them, 'It is not for you to know the times or the seasons, which the Father hath put in His own power. But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto Me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judea, and in Samaria, and to the uttermost part of the earth.'"
- John 16:1-7 Jesus told His disciples, "These things have I spoken unto you, that ye shall not be offended: Yea, the time cometh that whosoever killeth you will think that he doeth God service. And these things will they do unto you, because they have not known the Father, nor Me. But these things have I told you, that when the time shall come, ye may remember that I told you of them. And these things I said not unto you at the beginning, because I was with you. But now I go My way to Him that sent Me; and none of you asketh Me wither goes Thou? But because I have said these things unto you, sorrow hath filled your heart. Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you, but if I depart, I will send Him unto you."
- Mark 10:32 says, "And they were in the way going up to Jerusalem; and Jesus went before them: and they were amazed; and as they followed they were afraid. And He took again the twelve and began to tell them what things should begin to happen to Him."
- Revelation 4:1 John reports, "After this I looked, and, behold, a door was opened in heaven: and the first voice which I heard was as it were of a trumpet talking with me; which said, 'Come up hither, and I will shew thee things which must be hereafter.'" We are not to become panic-stricken in these last and evil days because every believer has been forewarned of future events. Lastly, it was told to Jesus' disciples (and to all those who will be saved in the future)...in...
- Matthew 24:1-14, it says, "And Jesus went out and departed from the temple: and His disciples came to Him for to shew Him the buildings of the temple. And Jesus said unto them, 'See ye not all these things?, Verily I say unto you, there shall not be left here one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down.' And as He sat upon the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto Him, privately, saying 'Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of Thy coming, and of the end of the world?' And Jesus answered and said unto them 'Take heed that no man deceive you. For many shall come in My name saying I am Christ; and shall deceive many. And ye shall hear of wars and rumors of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet. For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places. All these are the beginning of sorrows.Then shall they deliver you up to be afflicted, and shall kill you:and ye shall be hated of all nations for My name's sake.And then shall many be offended, and shall betray one another, and shall hate one another. And many false prophets shall rise,and shall deceive many. And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold. But he that shall endure til the end, the same shall be saved. And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.'"
So you see, when all these forewarned catastrophes and world events are happening all around you, don't fear or panic; instead, remember that Jesus said all these things were to take place before He comes for us. WOW! This is exciting news!
who can you trust in a panic situation?
It's ironic to me to see that many people, who claim to be born-again Christians, will go to various secular sources, other friends, family, co-workers, acquaintances, or other resources first to solicit their opinions, advice, or counsel on what they should or should not do or how to react in times of upsetting and dark situations.
The fear, worry, and panic wells up inside them so much that they will run straight to their doctors, friends, family members, etc., to see what they would say in these difficult situations.
While it's alright to seek the help and advise of dear family, friends, pastors, etc. in many instances, it is best to do that AFTER seeking the righteous, divine, and true counsel of Almighty God!
I have truly found that oftentimes I don't even need to ask the advice of others if God Himself has already alerted and instructed me on what to do and how to react to crises situations. No need for panic there! His instructions should always carry more weight and take precedence over what other people or the media might say about your situation.
If you are one who tends to live on fear, panic, worry, and stresses out about every disaster, catastrophe, or crisis that comes along, then you are just slapping God in the face; you're only insulting Him! You are virtually letting Him know that you don't trust Him to help you, provide for you, or protect you in your time of need and desperation. We have all been guilty of doing this from time to time, but our heavenly Father knows all that we need in life. He never forsakes His own!
Remember, God is in everything--the good, the bad, and the ugly of life. Psalm 46:1 reminds us that, "God is our refuge and strength; a very present help in trouble." He never promised to take us out of bad and terrible situations, but He does go through it with us and gives us the mercy and grace to deal with it; sometimes moment by moment; hour by hour, as we trust and obey Him through each and every circumstance. Therefore, don't hesitate to call on Him!
How do you receive instructions from the Lord? By reading and studying His Word, by praying, fasting, and diligently seeking His will for your life as well as for the current situation at hand. Sometimes, it is good to seek counsel from your pastor or another mature Christian whom you trust and respect as one who lives a godly life.
You must be discerning in this area of your life, whether it be in dark times, or good times. Allow the Lord to be your number one counselor in ALL things, not just when the crises of life overwhelm and challenge you, but even in the best of times.
Furthermore, I have found that people, although they may mean well, can unwillingly or unknowingly create more fear, panic, and worry in me about a situation or event even before making a decision on how I should react to it. So then, I find myself reacting more to what they said and afraid of the "perceived" outcome of it, more than the problem itself!!
Moreover, I want to add to this, that Jesus told us not to worry about tomorrow, of what might or might not happen tomorrow (or the future, for that matter), but to be only concerned about today. He only gives us today. It is clearly written in Matthew 6:34, which states, "Therefore, take no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof."
Don't you see? God has got you covered in everything, and on every side!!
In the following passages of scripture, it gives clear indication and instruction to us as believers and followers of Christ to look to Him first, and to seek His counsel as dark times and panic feelings come our way:
- Matthew 6:33 instructs us, "But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and His righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you."
- Deuteronomy 4:29 says, "But if from thence, thou shalt seek the Lord thy God, thou shalt find Him, if thou seek Him with all thy heart and with all thy soul."
- Proverbs 8:17 tells us, "I love them that love Me; and those that seek Me early shall find Me."
- Jeremiah 29:12-14 says, "Then shall ye call upon Me, and ye shall go and pray unto Me, and I will hearken unto you. And ye shall seek Me, and find Me, when ye shall search for Me with all your heart. 'And I will be found of you', said the Lord:'and I will turn away your captivity, and I will gather you from all the nations, and from all the places wither I have driven you', saith the Lord, 'and I will bring you again unto the place whence I caused you to be carried away captive.'"
- 2 Chronicles 7:14 states, "If My people, which are called by My name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek My face, and turn from their wicked way; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land."
- Job 5:8-9 says, "I would seek unto God, and unto God would I commit my cause: which doeth great things and unsearchable; marvelous things without number."
- Psalm 119:2 says, "Blessed are they that keep His testimonies, and that seek Him with the whole heart."
- Psalm 14:2 also says, "The Lord looked down from heaven upon the children of men, to see if there were any that did understand, and seek God." And lastly,
- Psalm 9:10 reminds us all, "And they that know Thy name will put their trust in Thee: for Thou, LORD, hast not forsaken them that seek Thee."
These are all beautiful scriptures that remind us of our duty, privilege, and honor in seeking the Lord in everything.
In conclusion, so, no more panic! Instead, I would just like to encourage you and your family to take heart, take courage in the Lord as He leads and guides you along into these perilous times of concern and uncertainty.
Remember too, that although these times are uncertain, we do have a Savior who loves us, cares for us, provides, and protects us in all things. As the words of an encouraging song go, "Leave it there; leave it there. Take your burdens to the Lord and leave them there. If you trust and never doubt; He will surely bring you out. Take your burdens to the Lord, and leave them there."
Take courage, dear Christian friend; no need for panic anymore!
Salvation: The Foundation Of The Gospel Message
Social Unrest And Injustices Of Our Day: How Should We Act Or React?
Witness Effectively For The Kingdom Of God
Persecution Of The Christian: On The Rise And Closer Than You Think!
Christian Church For The Believer
Top Of Page