barriers in christian living
Barriers in Christian living attempt to thwart the peace, hope, and faith of the believer, harming the effectiveness of his/her testimony for Christ.
In today's world, we see how easy it is to fall into sinful traps, when every kind of social pressure or wrong-doing brings on those temptations to sin. Therefore, you must constantly guard your mind, heart, and soul while living the Christian life.
Of course, this is easier said than done in many respects, but if you want your life to remain victorious in this evil world, then you must always be vigilant.
barriers that deter the christian
There are certain obstacles that may deter you from being faithful spiritually. They can certainly cause havoc in your life and get in the way of your testimony to others who are listening and watching you.
Perhaps these barriers have gotten in your way as well:
FEAR: This barrier can cripple and paralyze you if you allow it to do so. Perhaps you have a fear of sharing your faith with others, or afraid that if you take a stand for Christ at work, your co-workers will shun or ostracize you within your working environment. Or, could it be that you are afraid of being persecuted for your faith to some degree, as you live your life for the Lord. I too can honestly say that fear has taken a hold of me a time or two as well, hampering me in witnessing for Christ. This, of course, is one of Satan's tactics though, and he's ever so clever in bringing us down spiritually using fear.
Here are a few passages of scripture that may help you if you have the problem of fear in your life:
- Isaiah 41:10 says to us "Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen ye, yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of My righteousness."
- 2 Timothy 1:7 says, "For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind."
- Proverbs 29:25 tells us, "The fear of man bringeth a snare: but whoso putteth his trust in the Lord shall be safe."
- Philippians 4:6 then says, " Be careful for nothing; but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God."
DOUBT AND UNBELIEF: These are also major barriers and hindrances in your life to the effectiveness of your Christian testimony. You may have issues regarding the assurance of your salvation, or perhaps doubting that God will uphold His promises to you as He said He would in His Word; or could it be that you are experiencing the pains of unbelief in that it's sometimes hard to believe the gospel, or that Jesus truly is the Son of God. There may be so many questions in your mind that relate to these spiritual issues, and yet, they can become major barriers to overcome in your Christian living. Here are a few passage of scripture that address these problems as well:
- Acts 2:38-39 tells us, "Then Peter said unto them, 'Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.' For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call."
- 2 Peter 1:4 says, "Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust."
- 2 Corinthians 7:1 says, "Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God."
- Isaiah 55:8-9 reminds us, "For My thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways My ways, saith the Lord. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways, and My thoughts than your thoughts."
- Ephesians 1:5-6 says, "Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the good pleasure of His will, To the praise of the glory of His grace, wherein He hath made us accepted in the beloved."
- John 16:13 says, "Howbeit when He, the Spirit of truth, is come, He will guide you into all truth: for He shall not speak of Himself; but whatsoever He shall hear, that shall He speak: and He will shew you things to come."
- Joshua 1:8-9 encourages us, "This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success. Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the Lord thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest."
- John 10:27-30 says, "My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me: And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of My hand. My Father, which gave them Me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of My Father's hand. I and My Father are One." Lastly,
- Romans 8:38-39 reminds us, "For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord."
SOCIAL PRESSURES: This can become a huge barrier in the life of the believer, in that, although we live in this world, we are also living among unbelievers who do not think or believe as we do, and who will expect that we should join in their sinful ways and worldly causes.
Through the vast forms of media and communications, we are pressured on every side to conform to these social pressures such as: pre-marital sex, living with someone we are not married to, divorce, taking bribes, cheating, stealing, gossip, taking God's name in vain, government corruption, coveting material possessions, and so on.
The following scripture verses may help you in how to approach these barriers and various issues of social pressures:
- 2 Corinthians 4:7-12 says, "But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us. We are troubled on every side, yet not distressed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not forsaken; cast down, but not destroyed; Always bearing about in the body the dying of the Lord Jesus, that the life also of Jesus might be made manifest in our body. For we which live are always delivered unto death for Jesus' sake, that the life also of Jesus might be made manifest in our mortal flesh. So then death worketh in us, and life in you."
- Romans 12:2 also says, "And be not conformed to this world, but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect will of God."
- 1 Corinthians 10:13 reminds us, " There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it."
- Psalm 1:1-2 says, "Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the Lord; and in His law doth he meditate day and night."
SIN OF EVERY FORM: This is the major barrier of our spiritual life in the eyes of the Lord. As you know, sin can present itself in any size, shape, or form and is dangerous to our Christian testimony. You can be one of the most righteous individuals on the planet, and Satan can trick you, instantly throwing you a curve ball with sin written all over it, causing you to stumble and fall. The smallest sin is not a lesser sin; it is all sin in God's eyes.
This happens to every Christian at one time or another, but we must truly be faithful in discerning spiritual things, constantly in prayer, and continually in His Word so that when Satan throws his worst at us, we can become victorious through God's power and protection.
Here are a few scripture passages to provide as a barrier for you when sin comes knocking at your door:
- Psalm 66:18 reminds us: "If I regard iniquity in my heart, the Lord will not hear me:..."
- Proverbs 4:14-15 says, "Enter not into the path of the wicked, and go not in the way of evil men. Avoid it, pass not by it, turn from it, and pass away."
- Galatians 5:19-21 says, "Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I also have told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God." Lastly,
- 1 John 1:8-10 says, "If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar, and His word is not in us."
From this study, you can see now see how varied the barriers are in living the Christian life, in keeping your walk with Christ continual and steadfast.
However, through your belief, trust, and faith in Jesus; relying on the power of God through His Word; daily, unending prayer; and sharing the gospel of Christ with everyone we meet; you can be assured that these barriers will begin to come down and great spiritual change can then begin to happen in your life.
Let this verse from Galatians 6:9 strengthen you as you continue to strive for Christ, breaking barriers through your daily walk with Him. Be encouraged here, as it says, "And let us not weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not."
Arguing Never Works!
Creating Newness Of Life In Body, Mind, And Spirit Through Jesus Christ
Chaos Within The Home And Family Unit
Consumerism Can Hurt Your Pocketbook
Educational Routes For Your Children
Forgiveness Begins With You
Importance Of Father In The Home
Values In Christian Living
Difficult Home Issues
Dating Christian Believers
Expecting A New Arrival?
Beware Of Watered-Down Worship!
Dating Woes Can Create Havoc In Your Courting World
Modesty In Dress Speaks Volumes For The Christian Believer
Sibling Rivalry: A Destructive Force Within The Christian Home
Top Of Page